Re: Debian installation of gnome?

tromey@cygnus.com (Tom Tromey) writes:

> Paul> I've made some "$package/debian/" subdirs and some scripts for
> Paul> automatizing the build of each package.  They are definitely not
> Paul> perfect and probably need to be severely improved, but they at
> Paul> least do what i need.  You might want to fetch a .tar.gz of
> Paul> these scripts as
> Paul> "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian/gnome/debrules.tar.gz"
> Paul> and start from there.
>
> I'm interested in getting Debian support directly into the repository,
> just as RPM support is already there.

Yes, direct Debian support would be *really* nice.

> However, a prerequisite for this is that somebody actually volunteer
> to maintain the packaging stuff.  I don't know anything at all about
> Debian, so I can't really do it.
>
> If you're interested, tell me and I'll take the first step (checking
> in your files).

Unfortunately i have only a limited amount of time available to
dedicate to Linux.  I'm already maintaining the officially distributed
Debian Midnight Commander package in the hope of not doing a bad job.

The "$package/debian/" subdirs and scripts are still in no way
compliant to the Debian packaging guidelines and really *do* need some
repolishing work done before they could be included.  But i can't
really do anything further than providing my quick'n'dirty packaging
or else i would rather risk doing a bad job in maintaining them.

I was actually hoping that someone else would take these scripts as a
basis for further enhancements.  At least four persons have downloaded
the debrules.tar.gz i offered to the public and maybe someone is
already working on a more appropriate packaging?

                                Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------