Re: modemlights bug

On Sun, 24 May, 1998 at 11:58:37AM -0400, John Ellis set free these words:
> Toshio writes:
> >I have a problem with modemlights when I am disconnected from the network.
> >Namely it gives me the error "ioctl failed" over and over -- this printing
> >takes up a large chunk of CPU time....
> >
> >I suspect modemlights needs to check a condition and stop polling if
> >the network is down.
>
> The modemlights applet checks for the presence of a modem lock file, by default
> this is /var/lock/LCK..modem, it can be changed in the propeties dialog. It seems
> the lock file is not removed when you disconnect from the network. Could you
> check if this file changes when you connect and disconnect? Even if it's still there
> when you disconnect, does the file's length or timestamp change?

This appears to be the problem -- apparently, my setup will leave the lock
file in place about one in every ten times... I'll look for hte bug in my
networking scripts...

> There is probably a better way to check this, but I do not know it. If someone
> knows a better solution, please Email me.

How does the netload applet handle this?  It seems that modemlights might be
able to work in the same manner as long as it knows which route(s) are
associated with the modem....

-Toshio
--
badger  \"Life is like a china candy dish, filled with brightly promising
@prtr-13 \ sweets, quickly empited.  lasts longer.  dropped.  it breaks."