Device (un)mount applet

Is there any program or function in gnome to easily mount and
unmount devices such as cd-roms, floppys, Zip disks, etc?

Is anyone working on such a feature? If not I could start writing
such a facility myself. My idea is to have a panel applet that could be
configured to mount a directory (like /mnt/cdrom) using the mount
command. To keep it simple, an entry must be in /etc/fstab so
a command such as 'mount /mnt/cdrom' would work. This makes
it easy to specify which device is controlled by the applet (just
select properties and type in the mount location). This applet
would support multiple instances in the panel (one for each device).
And the Icon would change to reflect the device's mount status.

Or perhaps the file manager should contain this functionality.

John

--
John Ellis <gqview@geocities.com>
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/