Re: Problems running <whatever>_applet

Mark Galassi <rosalia@cygnus.com> writes:

>     Anders> I've never been able to successfully launch an applet,
>     Anders> neither from the panel, or standalone[1], without getting
>     Anders> a SIGSEGV.
>
> Hi Anders,
>
> I had that a couple of weeks ago.  What did it for me was having my
> local networking working well.
>
> Does "ping localhost" work?  And does "netstat -r" show that you have
> a route for destination 127.0.0.0 ?

 Yes in both cases.

 I've tried to narrow the problem down, and it seem to be a mico
problem after all. I've added a few printfs to
MICO::InetAddress::resolve_ip () in mico/orb/address.cc, in order to
see what goes wrong:

    fprintf (stderr, "gethostbyname (%s)\n", _host.c_str());
    fflush (stderr);
    struct hostent *hent = ::gethostbyname (_host.c_str());
    fprintf (stderr, "gethostbyname (%s) == %p\n", _host.c_str(), hent);
    fflush (stderr);

 With these additions, I get the following output form panel:

(115)$panel
debug: need old_cfg here
tmp for color = #000000
gethostbyname (0.0.0.0)
gethostbyname (0.0.0.0) == 0x4065f604
gethostbyname (obelix)
gethostbyname (obelix) == 0x4065f604
gethostbyname (obelix.wegge.dk)
gethostbyname (obelix.wegge.dk) == 0x4065f604

 Then I start the Fish:

started applet, pid: 22869
gethostbyname (0.0.0.0)
gethostbyname (0.0.0.0) == 0x80af9c8
gethostbyname (obelix)

** ERROR **: sigsegv caught

 It seem to me that mico is somehow doing terrible things to itself,
but I haven't got a clue as to where.

--
/Wegge