LIBTOOL and GTK+ installation problem

I just got a copy of libtool from profitpress.com/libtool, and I
installed it.  I also got a copy of gtk+ from the anon CVS tree, and
I'm trying to compile/install it.  But when I run configure, I get an
error like this:

AM_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found

I assume it's looking for some sort of libtool macro, but I can't
figure out why it's not working...libtool is installed, as far as I
can tell.

More info:

I'm running a RH 5, XFree86, afterstep system on a P2-300.  Everything
else in configure seems to work ok.