Re: WWW interface functions in Gnome libraries?

Graham> I can very easily see extending it to specialize on the type
Graham> of URL.  The best way to do this is probably through CORBA,
Graham> but I don't know CORBA, so I'm sticking with my current
Graham> implementation :-).

It's ok to introduce a new API provided that it is sufficient for our
needs on the client side.  We can always put CORBA behind the API when
the time comes.

In this particular case, I think the CORBA implementation would look
like this:

1. Make a request to the Trader service (or our own equivalent if
Trader is too much to deal with) requesting an object which can deal
with a URL of type foo (e.g., "http").

2. Send the actual URL to the object.

I do think that, in general, requests like this should be made through
CORBA.  Unfortunately our ORB situation still sucks, so CORBA usage is
more or less stalled.

Tom