Re: OLE Discussion (was Re: Opendoc)

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> > you have to doppleclick object after object until you reach the
> > innermost you wanted (and each time a very big application is loaded).
>
> I believe this was a shortcoming of OLE1 (at least that is what the
> book on OLE2 has led me to believe).

Sure? You can reach every object directly by double-clicking it, even
if itīs embedded in another object? I worked not very much with OLE2
(only OLE1) - maybe MS once again copied some smart ideas from
others. ;)

> Now, the reason for requiring the "double-click" is that you want to
> avoid launching a big application by mistake.

No, thatīs a missunderstanding - the double-click is OK, and AFAIR
OpenDoc also uses the double-click to access an embedded object (i
really donīt like the idea to make the desktop, the main working area,
to behave like an internet browser).

> I do not see how OpenDoc can be any smarter if it loads everything at
> startup (and thus allows you to edit by simply clicking once).

What has īsimply clicking onceī to do with īloads everything at
startupī, the user access method with the time at which some code is
loaded. By the way: The show-methods for all objects (and the objects
themselves) have to be loaded at startup (and surely OLE does this
also) or donīt you want to see the content of your document?

And loading everything at startup hurts much less in OpenDoc than in
OLE, cause OpenDoc classes are lean, OLE classes are very big
monolithic applications.

> > ago i last worked with it, so i canīt remember everything.
>
> It would be very helpful to know what those details were.  My initial

Hmmm... the time ago, when i still worked with OS/2, i have had some
white papers and other informations about OpenDoc and the difference
to OLE. At the moment i have not very much time, but i try to look for
it in the next days and forward you, what i will find.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.