Re: [Color Blindness - Modeling Images as Seen by Red/Green Defic ient]

> This is sort of off-topic, but does anyone have knowledge of an image
> filter to "color-blind" an image to show what someone with red-green
> deficiency might see?  I suspect that this wouldn't be too hard to do,
> but I lack the background to implement it.  What wavelengths/spectrum
> would you need to mask?

I'm not sure this is useful...some folks have "simple" color blindness
like you mention, but others, like myself, don't have normal color
blindness.  I can tell red from green, but I can't always tell things
like green from brown.  Or purple from blue.  Or fluorescent green
from fluorescent yellow.  I thought for most of my life that a
"green light" was just a "name" for it...I thought the green light
was really just a normal incandescent bulb color.  I knew red was
red and yellow was yellow, but I just never associated the color of
the "green light" with the color green (it just don't look the same
color as grass...I know it's a different shade and all, but it doesn't
even look like the same color to *me*).

As long as these "alerts" are configurable I can set them
to something meaningful for me.  Some folks really can't, though, as
their color blindness is VERY limiting.  For those, all you really
need is the ability to flash different rates or something.  Those
folks are *really* rare and are likely very used to dealing with these
types of issues in other ways so you may not need to bother at all.  It's
probably not PC to say, but I think it's pretty safe to ignore that
situation at least until someone complains.  I doubt anyone ever would.

--Donnie

--
 Donnie Barnes    http://www.redhat.com/~djb    djb@redhat.com   "Bah."
   Challenge Diversity.  Ignore People.  Live Life.  Use Linux.  879.