Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

I've been following this thread with interest.
Here's just a few points I'd like to make.

Firstly, I think putting the responsiblity with the window manager is a good thing
(tm).
Perhaps it could be one of the things that the Window Manager would have to
implement in order to become Gnome compliant. Obviously, not all gnome
applications would have to implement it(?) Or do we want this to be a gnome-wide
phenonema (and then leave it up to the user to decide WHAT TO DO with this data
which comes in .. ie whether or not they want to use color lamps or nothing or who
knows what)

Bowie, I (nopzor) talked to you before you posted your proposal. FYI, litespeed
(the ftp client Matt Wimer and me are writing) is implementing a color coded
status bar that will :-

a] Be bright green when the transfer rate is >= definable "good_transfer_rate"
variable
b] Be duller green when the transfer rate is >= 85% good_transfer_rate
c] Be yellow when transfer rate is >=75% good_transfer_rate
d] Be orange when transfer rate is >= 45% good_transfer_rate
e] Be red when transfer rate is < 45% good_transfer_rate
f] FLASH red when transfer begins to stall

I think this whole color reactiveness Idea is a really great idea. We should use
it not only in the lamps but wherever possible. the ProgressBar is one such place.

Raster, do you really think that you have to define pre defined "states" which
correspond to how the apps are doing? Doesn't this remove some flexibility if the
app wants to have a weird combination of colors?

Can themes be used to define how the lamps will look and what color they will be?

Regards,
    Raj [nopzor] Dutt