Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de> writes:

> Handicapped persons, who can not distinguish between different
> colors, have obviously a problem with your lamps but not with
> traffic lights. Furthermore it is much easier to recognise a
> combined change of color and position, although this is probably
> only important for quick reactions on the the change. And who on
> earth should remember the codings for 6 different colors flashing in
> different order for all applications? And coding a processbar with
> color shades is also quite unusable. I don't think that someone is
> able to say from a color shade "the download will last 5 minutes".

Well, eye is extremely sensitive to color gradients, and if you use
continuous status information (say, 5-6 special conditions, like
Error, Query, Inactive), plus gradient from red to violet, you
/would/ be able to tell by eye if the color is changin - if that's
what the application wants you to see.

Regarding color blind: while the feature is useless to them, it could
be configurable in WM so that they can turn it off. For everybody
else, color is both suble and very effective visual cue.

--
I refuse to use .sig