Re: gtk icewm?

Well, it's certainly not going to hurt GNOME to experiment around
with its GUI.  On one hand, I think GNOME should aspire to
combine the best elements of the commercial GUI's in the best way
possible (perhaps discarding a few good features if they don't
fit in with the whole).  On the other hand, we need to nurture
the more radical ideas that will help give GNOME that extra zip
and allow it to live up to its potential.  We need a solid left
wing and a solid right wing.

I would say three of the most important qualities of a good GUI
are consistency, convenience, and scalability (off the top of my
head):

-Consistency is obvious: an "interface" implies that it provides
the same types of services to the front ends of various
applications, etc.

-Without convenience, users will tend to migrate to the more
usable GUI's.  Plus, that's what a UI is _for_, right?  So we
don't have to type everything in from the command line?

-And finally, we need scalability (i.e. extensibility) so that
when the GUI matures and expands, we can do it gracefully, and
not have to redesign the GUI to accomodate new situations.  This
last one is the tough pickle, and it's a little harder to
quantify.  It's more a measure of the GUI's potential.

Anyway, just trying to stir up the pot a little...
John

P.S.--Is this discussion what the gnome-gui-list is for?  I don't
know--I'm asking...