Re: gtk icewm?

On 18 May, robert havoc pennington shouted:
->
->  On Mon, 18 May 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:
->  >
->  > again a misnoma. different is neither bad nor good - it depends what
->  > new stuff you have. if beinf different was bad a GUi would have never
->  > been invented - terminals wouldnt exits.,. we'd be uing computers with
->  > switches and led's as output. Being diferent and having the guts to try
->  > somehitng new drives innovation and features. don't be afraid of being
->  > different. Embrace it.
->  >
->
->  I agree in principle, but in practice it seems like this sentiment mostly
->  results in difference on the application level, much of it kind of
->  gratuitous (e.g. button styles, where the menu items are, etc.). If our
->  difference is guided by a good plan and is implemented across Gnome, and
->  really truly makes things better, then I'm all for it.
->
->  At this stage there's all kinds of inconsistency in Gnome apps; I think
->  that's good, because lots of things are getting tried out, and the ideas
->  are flowing. Eventually though, IMHO, we want to pick the best of the
->  ideas and impose uniformity. When deciding which ideas to go with, I think
->  we should go with preexisting familiar ideas by default, and be different
->  only if there's a clear tangible benefit or no precedent to base the
->  decision on.
->
->  So basically all I'm saying is let's not be different just to be different
->  - let's have a good reason. And if all major GUI platforms do something
->  one way I think we should do it the same way, because people are familiar
->  with it and those platforms are based on all kinds of usability studies we
->  can't possibly do ourselves.

I agree I just want to warn people off having "blinkers" and just trying
to emulate someone else (ie netx, window macos etc.) and not hink
themselves and perhaps try something new.

->  Havoc
->
->
->