Re: OLE Discussion (was Re: Opendoc)

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> First of all: OLE2 is the second attempt at Microsoft at getting their
> component model right, and they succeeded pretty much.
>
> There are many good things on it:

If you are so impressed by OLE2, then take a serious look at SOM, DSOM
and Opendoc. It goes far behind OLE and does most things
better. I.E. in Opendoc the objects may have any boundary not only a
rectangle. DSOM ist a true CORBA ORB and the hole system has not as
many interface and version problems like the windows stuff (what about
MS Office 97 - there is a new OLE2-lib and some other programs stopped
working because of this). The hole OS/2 Worplace Shell is made of
(D)SOM objects (but an older version, so performance is not as good as
it could be). And it works great. And it is very flexible.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.