Re: RH shared library issues (Re: libjpeg problems)

On Fri, 15 May, 1998 at 07:21:34PM -0400, Steve Dunham set free these words:
> Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Steve Dunham <dunham@cps.msu.edu> writes:
>
> > > Yup, apparently someone has seen fit to release a copy of the
> > > libjpeg-6b library, which is NOT binary compatible with libjpeg-6a,
> > > with a soname of libjpeg.so.6.  Apparently whoever is compiling the
> > > RPM snapshots is using this.  Further, there is a copy of libjpeg-6b
> > > in contrib with an soname of libjpeg.so.7, which won't be loaded
> > > against the snapshot binaries at runtime.
>
> > As far as I know, this is the way the jpeg library is shipped in
> > source.
>
> Nope. I just checked, and it seems we are both wrong.  The upstream
> version number is 62.  The correct way to compile the package is:
>
>    ./configure --enabled-shared --enable-static --prefix=/usr
>
> This will use libtool and a major version number of 62.

Well, at least they finally switched to libtool.  The 6a release had no way to
build shared libraries.  All the libjpeg.so.6's (and .1's) were in fact
unilateral decisions by sys.admins/distributions to make a shared library.

> > The reason you see this in the GNOME stuff is that it uses libtool
> > and currently shared library "dependencies" like you are talking
> > about disabled in libtool.
>
> This seems to be turned on in the Debian libtool package. The libtool
> program on Debian has \$deplibs at the end of the "archive_cmds"
> variable, Red Hat doesn't.

Unless it's an older version of libtool, this is just a hack to make deplibs
work (and breaks on some non-linux systems because it can link static
libraries into shared libraries.) I built something a lot more robust at
libtool-1.0i and submitted it to the libtool author, but he wasn't going to
put it in until the next development cycle (Which is actually now... I should
go check the 1.2a and see if the patch is in or not...)  I looked at 1.1 and
1.2 and I know my old patch would not apply cleanly to them.

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."