Re: RH shared library issues (Re: libjpeg problems)

> Given the source of the RPM Gnome snapshots, I worry about whether
> RedHat 5.1 will ship with libjpeg version 6b having a soname of
> libjpeg.so.6, making it incompatible with both programs compiled on
> Red Hat 5.0 and on Debian Linux.

That would be a bit nasty if it happened. I'll try and check soon

> of the shared libraries (e.g. libpng) depend on other libraries
> (e.g. libz) but don't explicitly reference them.  This can cause

Noted.

> Some of their libraries depend on other libraries without explicitly
> referencing them - inviting version mismatches when linking.

Care to send a list to bugs@ and cc me. I'll make sure it appears in the bugs
dbase.

> Also, and unrelated problem: Red Hat 5.0 has two non-identical copies
> of libz.a.

Yes. Known and I believe fixed in the new XFree. XFree has/had its own libz.a

> Should I submit these types of bugs to Red Hat's bugs address, or will
> they fall on deaf ears?  (This type of quality control is important to
> me - I would really like to see Red Hat become as good as Debian in
> this respect.)

Everything _should_ be getting into the bugs database.

Alan