Re: Virtual Folders (re: syncing desktops)

>> Does MC have virtual folders?  Ideally what I'd like is just a
>> special MC folder where the user can drag files he wants to sync.
>> (If it doesn't exist, then this would be a good thing to add to MC.
>> There are plenty of uses for persistent virtual folders.  E.g.:
>> control panel, output of `find', recently used documents area,
>> etc.)

Miguel> It does not support virtual folders as you are describing
Miguel> them.  An extended functional description of those virtual
Miguel> folders would definetly help me code them.

Miguel> Currently it does support a special mode where you have full
Miguel> pathnames on a panel.  Usually, those come from running the
Miguel> find command or from any command (look in external panelize).

I think external panelize is probably close to what I want.

Here's what I see as the important characteristics of a virtual
folder:

* Has a name (e.g., "Results of find ~ -name *.c")
* Contains an arbitrary list of files, which can be manipulated like
  any other list.  (Removing a file should just remove it from the
  list.  I should be able to add files with drag-n-drop.)
* Is persistent.  (With some way to destroy it.)

Ideally I could manipulate virtual folders via a CORBA interface.
That way, e.g., the find-file application could create a new virtual
folder to hold its output, and the rsync wrapper would have an easy
way to get a list of files which must be synchronized.

Tom