Re: syncing desktops

On 13 May 1998, Tom Tromey wrote:

> My brother-in-law told me that the one application he'd really like to
> see on a desktop is a way to synchronize his laptop with some other
> machine.  Apparently Windows can do this.  Sounds good to me -- except
> I don't have a laptop, and I don't know how these programs work.
> Somebody want to give me a clue?
>
> In terms of implementation, my basic plan is to use rsync to do the
> actual synchronization.  The GUI would just be a simple wrapper.

You'd definitely want to look into the CODA filesystem, it's designed to
be removable. It does a whole lot more verification of file updates, but
does of course require that CODA is installed. A simple rsync wrapper
would be a useful start, and maybe easier for people who simply want to
synchronise a small directory of files.

--
Conrad Parker  conradp@cse.unsw.edu.au