Re: GnomeSelectPaper Widget

Hi,

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Tim P. Gerla wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 11:16:42AM -0500, robert havoc pennington wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 13 May 1998, Dirk Luetjens wrote:
> > >
> > > while writing my small gpstool app I faced the problem of selecting a
> > > paper size. So I started to write a GnomeSelectPaper Widget.
> > >

> > Hey, neat. Perhaps the widget should be part of/include a whole "Page
> > Setup" kind of deal? Stuff like resolution, number of copies, 2-up... I
> > guess that's an entire app... ;-) The word processor, GLUe, etc. could all
> > use this.
> >
> Please don't seperate them though, use tabs. I always have found Windoze's
> seperate Print and Page Setup dialogs annoying, since you had to go through
> two dialogs to check and make sure that your print settings were correct.
> Eew.

I thought about that, too.

But first: The GnomeSelectPaper widget is a subclassed GtkVBox which can
be put everywhere. You can select the paper size from predefined sizes or
can enter your own size. I'm not sure if I add a button for
landscape/seascape/up-side-down/whatever button, since this does not
belong to the selection of the used paper.

In the future I would like to see an application for printing labels.  The
description of labels is more difficult than just width and height. When
this will come true, I think about extending the widget to handle this
kind of information, too.

You just can ask the widget about the dimension of the specified paper.

Second: I would like to see something like a printer setup/ page setup
dialog for Linux, too, since I don't see the main advantage of the unix
style printing subsystem. This is another question, that has to be
discussed in this list. When we will have something like the Windows way
of printing, the GnomeSelectPaper Widget could be of help. For now, I
don't plan to write a printer setup/page setup dialog (note the word
dialog). Wasn't there a company that provides a new printing system which
could be used on top of the unix style printing? I have seen something on
the net, but can't remember. Perhaps we look there for the concept?

Thanks for the feddback

Dirk