OLE Discussion (was Re: Opendoc)

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > OLE is Microsloth's windows implementations of COM.
>
> OLE2 is built on top of COM and some other very interesting
> technologies.  I have been learning OLE2 for the sole purpose of
> implementing something similar as the GNOME object model.

Oh, really?  That's commendable.  What are some of your favorite
features?  How do you think it'll be reflected in GNOME?  Oh, and
what's your list of OLE nasties?

> OLE2 has some very nice features.

Although the registration system is a little arcane, I do like
the way OLE abstracts the physical location of the
components/libraries.  You can request the object by its ID, and
the OS takes care of locating it.  With DCOM, you can even use
components on another system across a network.  That's pretty
slick!

I also like the way you can externally "run" the OLE-exposed
internals of another application, and borrow its functionality
for your own use.  The other app doesn't even need to know you
exist!  You just have to know how to use its OLE interfaces.

John