Re: ICQ for Gnome

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Alex Roberts wrote:

> > > ...mhmmmm where can I find sources for Icq? (if they are public....8-)
> >
> > As I recall, not even the _protocol_ for ICQ is public.
> >
> > I heard rumours that someone reverse engineered it with tcpdump or
> > similar, though ;-)
>
> THe protocol has been released (although, not from Mirabilis), someone
> traced the tcp packets and wrote a document on it.

This was posted to this group quite recently. Here's the links:
xicq:
http://www.xtrophy.dk/xicq/
gtkicq:
http://www.korsoft.com/~gabriel/icq.html
The v2 protocol page:
http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d95-mih/icq/
http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d95-mih/icq/spec/icq09.txt
micq:
ftp://micq.ml.org/pub/icq/

gtkicq is not currently runnable, but xicq and micq are. The micq developer
seems to be doing the best so far - it contains the most features and runs
well (albeit text-based). One note - watch for ~/.micqrc.