Re: some thoughts..

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > It is. It only loads pages of code if needed. (The problem with ELF is
> > that it needs to patch code pages, so some code pages aren't reloadable
> > from the binary, but still, these pages eventually land in the swap.)
>
> This is not correct.
>
> ELF binaries *ONLY* modify the .got and .plt sections.  There is a
> special case (when you link a non-PIC library into a PIC library) when
> patching is required, but so far, I have only seen that happen twice.
I HAPPILY stand corrected :) (Even better :) )

And when it gets to memory usage:
*) GNOME is playing to use probably some Guile applets.
*) Guile (as all interpreted languages) is not that good, as the pcode is
   treated as data by the system.
*) Not the good thing: there is a mergemem module for Linux, that merges
   pages that are identically. Kind of late time COW :)

Andreas