Re: Icons on the desktop

On Wed, 06 May 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
:> I respect all the hard work you people put into coding this and I
:> certainly cannot do it myself.  Looking at gmc, I have to say I wonder
:> why the designers did not look at other programs like DFM, which are
:> already almost done and do the same thing.  It seems to me that
:> grafting MC to do this job was going the hard way. The Linux Explorer
:> might also have been a better example to work against.
:
:Several reasons:
:
:	1.  The file manager needs to use the Gtk toolkit and the
:	    Gnome libraries.  Any existing file manager had to be
:	    ported to do this task.
:
:	2.  Feature-wise and power-wise I have yet to see a file
:	    manager more powerful than MC in the Linux world.  Adding
:	    desktop extensions was an easy task compared to adding the
:	    features mc had to other file managers.
:
:	3.  MC had already been ported to XView and Tk before, so the
:	    Gtk port was just another port (it happens to be the most
:	    clean port and the port that cleaned up a lot of the code
:	    though).

	4.  It's easier to let the primary maintainer of MC have his way
	    than to argue with him (same holds true for the primary
	    Gnome coordinator.)  ;-)

--
Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.