Re: Icons on the desktop

In this icons thread, I've not seen anyone make the point that one can
have icons on the desktop either as supported by a file-manager shell
(such as gmc, kfm, DFM, or other like programs) or by the window manager
itself.  With WindowMaker, for example, there is the ability to "dock"
icons to a floating object formerly called "fiend".

I respect all the hard work you people put into coding this and I
certainly cannot do it myself.  Looking at gmc, I have to say I wonder
why the designers did not look at other programs like DFM, which are
already almost done and do the same thing.  It seems to me that
grafting MC to do this job was going the hard way. The Linux Explorer
might also have been a better example to work against.

What's lacking in gmc?  Little things like indicators of used and
available disk space.  The selection of multiple files seems strange to
me (highlight 3, get 2).

DFM deals with the icons on the background problem by creating a "clear
layer" of objects on top of the background but underneath opened
applications, incidentally.

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn@ukans.edu
University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086