Re: ICQ for Gnome

This is true
but there is work done to remedy this

I recall reading something about the Rendezvous Protocol which will provide
interclient conversations to occur. I haven't done much looking into it, but I'll
try to pick up some URLs and drop them back here.

So far as I know, it's not complete yet.

let's not forget that the reason to use ICQ (or any pager at all) is that it's
ubiquitous.  We'll always say, "yes, there's a better way; let's go write it" but
ICQ is here, now, and used by a tonnage of people.

I'm not here to comment on the merits or pitfalls of ICQ: the application, the
organization, or the protocol.   I'm not here to comment on the plusses and
minuses of IRC as a medium of exchange... though i have a lot to say on both ;-)

What I do know is that I use the ICQ java client.  I also know that I wish for a
faster, more aesthetic client, and that was my kick in the pants to get started.