Re: Icons on the desktop

> gmc may indeed be a small app, and that is good.  But this issue here is
> the fact that the icons do not show up until you start gmc.  Thus there
> is an unnatural coupling of the iconic desktop metaphor and the
> application used to view the icon's contents.  There should be a daemon
> that is running when a user logs in that will show the desktop,
> regardless of whether there are gmc windows on the screen.  When a user
> opens one of these icons, a gmc window should be instantiated to show the
> appropriate contents.

how about this solution, the gmc will always be run, just like the
panel, therefore it would always be loaded, it wouldn't have an exeit
button, but a logout button that would send the session manager logout,
just like if you press logout on the panel ...

gmc should also function without any of it's windows open, ... I think
it is confusing that gmc is doing more then a filemanager if it in fact
is a core app, that is basically needed for the desktop, so it shouldn't
act just like any app

on startup gmc should register itself, and it doesn't have to start any
of it's windows, then if a user clicks on the file manager icon in the
panel, it just wakes up the file manager and starts a window ...

gmc is nice and small in memory (compared to other such apps) so we're
not loosing much by leaving it in all the time

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: