Moving Targets: A plea

I'm starting to get frustrated with all the various items that have to
be tracked closely to be able to work with GNOME.

I was wanting to watch, test, help find/patch bugs, and maybe write a
few GNOME apps, but it's getting darn near impossible with all the
development versions needed to get things to compile.

Imlib and guile weren't so bad, since there's not that much else that
uses them at this point. However, now it appears that a CVS version of
gtk+ would be required, when (hopefully) gtk+ and it's API will be
stable at 1.0 for a bit now.

Now that apps are starting to use gtk+ as a general toolkit, I don't
want to have to compile everything that uses it myself, which I'd end
up doing. And if it comes to it, my preferred tool for dealing with
GNOME will be rm-rf, unfortunately (just a statement, not a threat).

If people do want to track CVS versions of gtk+ despite it's presumed
stability (at 1.0), could there at least be strategic ifdefs in the
appropriate parts of Imlib and gnome-core, so people can watch GNOME
grow up and play with it without recompiling their entire machine?

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  vizzie@airmail.net / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/