Re: gnome-stock pixmaps

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I would vote to address the Apply/Ok issue by having something like
> this on PropertyBox:
>
>   use_apply_button = gnome_config_get_bool ("/General/PropertyBoxHasApply=true");
>
> And make this a gnome-global variable.

One of the libgnomeui TODO items is a way to configure options like this.
I expect there will eventually be lots of them; for example, I've started
in on code to let you use a status bar in some cases rather than a dialog.
(well, I'm about done with the interface and the dialog part, I'm not sure
how to write the status bar.)

Anyway, why make the variable global? Shouldn't it be local to
PropertyBox?

I was thinking along these lines: have a file with all Gnome-global
options, something like:

#define PROPERTY_BOX_HAS_APPLY "/General/PropertyBoxHasApply=true"

This would be used in two places; once in gnome_property_box_init(), and
also in a little gnome-properties utility which is a propertybox for
setting global options. gnome-properties could also let you set Gtk colors
and stuff like that; I'm hoping it's feasible to store some Gtk prefs in
gnome-config rather than a gtkrc, for those who want to use the GUI
instead of the rc file. (flashy themes are a big Gnome selling point; we
want everyone to be able to use them :-)

How does that sound? I'm sure there's a better way. I'd like a general
libgnomeui config mechanism though, rather than each configurable option
using its own method.

Havoc