RE: Sound Events and The Enlightened Sound Daemon

On 02-May-98 Yo 'Ric Dude wrote:
>Greetings, all.
<chomp>
>I realize that much of this functionality is duplicated
>in the NAS (network audio system) library, however, after
>a night of fiddling, I cannot get the NAS au server to
>play back sounds for longer than a few seconds, let alone
>mix several audio streams simultaneously.  Maybe it's
>just a NAS on Linux thing, but I can't tell.
the last relase of nas (1.2p5) is buggered, ive been on to the
nas list once or twice on the matter and a working
version for linux can be got at
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/publink/nas
which correctmy mixes audio streams together.
i think nas offers a solid base for networked audio, some
extensions for midi might be cute though. and as at least
some X suppliers (ok just ncd) support nas already in
their X servers you get the benefit of a sort of standard
that is wider than just the gnome user base, loads of apps
already use nas so even if nas isnt accepted for gnome
it would be a very good idea to look into supporting
its protocol so as to get nas clients onboard gnome.

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara           *  Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie          *  Phone: +353-61-202699
Mute and continue