Re: Sound Events

On 30 Apr, Tom Tromey shouted:
->  Michael> are there any plans to include "sound events" in gnome ?
->
->  Yes.
->
->  Michael> i.e. when closing a window or so

that's probably best left to the wm (sometimes an app doesnt have a
choice and has their window close and cant do anything... the wm will
always survive a window colse and can "do something" bes stick to
thinks liek button clicks, menu clicks,  and a simple api to "play this
sample now" or something..

->  I find this a bizarre request, but I don't see why it couldn't be
->  done.
->
->
->  The basic idea, as I see it, is to have two kinds of sound
->  applications:
->
->  1. Those which intrinsically deal with sound, for instance a
->  synthesizer program.  These should deal directly with whatever sound
->  protocol we choose (I definitely think we should use a networked sound
->  system).
->
->  2. Those for which audio is an extra.  I think these applications
->  should work by just posting events whenever something "interesting"
->  happens.  Then people who are interested in sounds can run a special
->  application (of type #1) that listens for events, and plays the
->  appropriate sound when something happens.
->
->  One detail to work out is how to present configuration of the
->  event->sound mapping to the user.  This shouldn't be overly hard.  It
->  could either be done globally (by registering events) or
->  per-application (by writing a common sound config dialog and then
->  having the app communicate its configuration to the event/sound
->  program via CORBA).
->
->  For the event backplane I picture a daemon running the CORBA event
->  service.  We'll just define a standard format for the kinds of events
->  we care about.
->
->
->  This has all been talked about before.  Look back through the list
->  archives for details.
->
->
->  Hopefully someday soon I'll get a chance to actually work on the CORBA
->  stuff.  I'm optimistically planning to write the event backplane
->  first.
->
->  Tom
->