Re: Drag 'N' Drop Protocol (?!)

> should we cater to the lowest common denominator?

	To a certain degree, actually, we should.  Certainly not in
everything (or even most things), but since this is very important to the
inter-operability of GNOME and non-GNOME apps, I think we should use the
declared standard.  Unfortunately, there are thousands of more programs
that are non-GNOME than there are GNOME apps--I'd like to use those under
the GNOME desktop.

> How about petitioning the KDE people to change their protocol? Or is it
> built into Qt (and thus unchangeable by anyone but Troll Tech)?

	No, XDnD is not based on any particular widget set--it's
completely open (and open to suggestions). But just as it would be wrong
to expect Troll Tech to have complete control over the Unix DnD protocol,
it would also be wrong to put that responsibility (and degree of
control) on the developers of GTK+.

	There are two elegant solutions to this problem:  1) Gnome apps
(and GTK+) should support both Xde *and* Xdnd, so that Gnome apps will
work well with non-Gnome apps, and 2) The Xdnd protocol should be updated
to include all the features of Xde.

	Anyway, this whole discussion may be in vain: What is the declared
DnD protocol of the Gnome project?!

Derek Simkowiak
dereks@blarg.net