Re: How to install slib? (was Re: Help with a basic install)

Bobo Rajec <bobo@bsp-consulting.sk> writes:

> Derek Simkowiak writes:
>
>  > 	(playing the stupid-user:) So if I'm reading this correctly, I
>  > just unpack it in /usr/local/share/guile/site (or wherever Guile is
>  > actually installed) and I'm done.  Is that right?  Surely someone on this
>  > list has installed SLIB...
>
> I tried, too. The HACKING file lists slib2b3 as the required slib
> version, on ftp-swiss.ai.mit.edu I found only slib2c0, which I guess
> is incompatible.
>
> Does gnome-guile work with slib2c0 ? If not, where do I get slib2b3 ?

Guile, or at least the latest snapshots, do work with slib2c0.
However, the first time slib2c is used, it wants to write a catalog
file and for that the uid running guile needs to have write permissions
in the directory where slib is installed. So, if it's installed under
/usr/local, then as root do:

guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
guile> (require 'random) ;; any other slib-module will do

and then you're done.

Michael