How to install slib? (was Re: Help with a basic install)

Robert Sinland <rsinland@means.net> writes:
> Sorry to bother everone, but I am very new to the Gnome project.  So
> far I have d/l'ed everything required ( I think) based on the docs
> at the main Gnome website.  I have _most_ of the packages required
> for gnome installed now, but got stuck on the slib stuff (the one
> with all the *.scm files).  The docs included seem to relate more
> with the use of the files vs. just the installation there of, either
> that or I am just overlooking something just plain stupid simple :)

I've only been subscribed to gnome-list a fortnight, and this is the
second time I've seen someone asking how to install slib. I am also
mystified by it. I've been through gnome docs, slib docs, guile docs
and SCM docs, and although I'm sure I could get it working if I had a
good try, I haven't seen any direct instructions on how to install the
thing.

I'm beginning to think it's only in the list of Gnome prerequisits as
some sort of perverse joke. Please, if installing it is trivial once
you know how, could someone write down how and get it put in an
obvious place in the Gnome docs (and the Guile and slib docs too)? If
it is tricky, could someone autoconf it?

--
Dave Wragg