Re: complete system or individual components?

> Does this sound like software bloat to anybody?

no ... sounds to me like the right thing to do ... the fact that gnome-libs
implement a lot of the functionality that make up that similiar "look
and feel" .. and a lot of functionality that cuts down the development
time of an app and makes apps work together much better ... and the fact
that it's shared lib .. so this means that apps using gnome lib will have
similiar look and feel .. and the fact it will take less code to write them
and it will make them work the same way ...

take for example the configuration system ... suppose every app writer
implemented his own ... that would mean they all work differently ...

another thing is the fact that if people did implement these things by
themselves, you'd ahve more code to load into memory for every app you
start .... the whole reason behind shared libs is that a lot of programs
use them .... it's not considered bloat ... it's just like the "why
do I ahve to install GKT if I want this app to work ... why didn't the
author write a toolkit himself aimed just at that app, which would make
it leaner and less bloated" ....

plus all you need for ee is gnome-libs .... (and imlib, but you'd need
that anyhow ... and gtk :)...)

> GNOME and other desktop environments should not be clones of CDE but
> rather a set of programs that share the same look and feel.
> Understandably, some components will require GNOME libraries - the help
> browser for example - but "little" programs such as EE should not be
> dependent upon a massive set of stuff being installed.

the fact that they are little is because they use common libs when
possible

> Little programs - this is part of the GNOME manifesto, isn't it? Yes,
> the programs should all work together (common interface - the X programs
> standard in the distribution don't do this, yes), but if somebody wants
> a single program, they should be able to do that without gobs of
> external libraries being installed on their systems.

gobs of uncommon libs yes ... but gnome is aiming to be a lot of tools
and people are gonna use more then one ... so it would amke sense for
people to use gnome-libs ... to make their lives easier and to make
their apps behave similiar to other gnome apps

I don't see gnome-libs as all that much to require too ... nobody is
forcing anybody to install anything else ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
While some may have the year 2000  | $ emacs
problem, my 64-bit alpha's got the | bash: emacs: command not found
year 292471208677 problem          | YES!!