Error executing any gnome program.

I get this error when I try to execute any gnome program:

BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

This error seems to be from the X server cause when I execute:
	gif2x11 any_gif.gif
I get this similar error.

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  280

I'am using RedHat 5.0 - I tried to compile gnome without the libgif but I
got the same error.

Also, if I execute panel from gnome-core/panel/panel without 'make
install' it works.

Any idea ?