Not detecting gtk compiling gnome-utils

Hi,

I've managed to get gnome-core, and gnome-libs to compile successfully
from CVS (yeah!).  However, I am having a problem when trying to compile
gnome-utils.  Here is the error messages I get during configure:

checking for GTK - version >= ... , bad version string
no
configure: error: GTK not installed
make: *** [config.status] Error 1

If I look at the generated configure script, min_gtk_version is not being
assigned any value.  I have gtk.m4 in /usr/local/share/aclocal, and a
symlink to it in /usr/share/aclocal.  Do I need to pass anything to
autogen.sh?

Mike Madore