libgif problems

Hi,  I have a redhat 5.0 system installed, and I have been having
numerous problems with compiling
gnome, I've gotten through three or four problems,  and finaly got
gnome-libs to compile, but when
I try to run a program it gives this error:

gnome-hello-0-basic: error in loading shared libraries
libc.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have two versions of libgif, version 3.0 and 2.0 installed, I have
tried, without 3.0 and without 2.0.
without 2.0 I get the message

gnome-hello-0-basic: error in loading shared libraries
libgif.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have a strong feeling that this is a problem between versions of libc,
and just a note that I have a
cyrix chip, and had to change versions of glibc to avoid getting sig 11,
I'm not sure where to go from
here.

Brian King
C.S. student at R.I.T