Re: GNOME: Newsreader development

> I am already working on a newsreader, for now is on a very early level.
> There is only a idea of the gui

Well, you're well ahead of me.  I just crunched through the Gtk
docs last night. :)

> I am writing it from scratch, but my idea is to make a little program, so
> this method seems work (for now)

The base NNTP standard from RFC977 is pretty simple, if somewhat out
of date.  However, since all that tested code is already out there,
you might as well utilize it.  I, personally, don't really have the
time to write a scratch newsreader anymore. :)

> > * Intelligent display of articles.

> Personlly I hate the news written with html, but I am thinking to
> implement it, just to have a simple way to have a reader. In the begin I
> think to use it... just in case....

I agree, concerning posts which use HTML formatting.  However, I also
know people who read news with Netscape or even swap back to a Windows
environment just to handle those sort of posts.  If the relevent Gtk
widgets let me do that without too much trouble, then I would
certainly consider that a bonus.

Really, my goal is just to provide some middle ground between
gnus/slrn and netscape for people who are new to the Unix environment.
There simply isn't a newsreader which is both easy to use (for someone
coming from a Windows background) and reasonably featured.

> I don't understand just a thing: it will be a text reader or a graphics
> reader ? The question because I am writing a graphic reader and I'd like
> to have some help. I cannot swap to a text reader, where I have the access
> to the net, I have not the console, only x-window and x-term.

For the moment, I'm converting a text reader to use graphical widgets
and event-oriented logic.  Note that your xterm, rxvt, etc... can do
pretty much anything the console can.  Hrm, I'm not sure I fully
understand your question. :)

> P.S. Someone know where I can find a library that implement the NNTP
> specs?

I would probably suggest looking at an existing software such as nn,
suck or inn.

You might also want to take a look at

	http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/forsoft.htm

which is an excellent resource for anyone wanting to write usenet
software.  Of course, ignore their article which gives the following
advice...

   "I think I'll write a newsreader!"

   Stop. Stop right there. I have a suggestion that will save you a lot
   of time: Go to a movie. Rent a video. Volunteer with a local first-aid
   squad. Feed the homeless. Make a sandwich, walk onto the street and
   when you see a homeless person say, "HERE!" Just do anything other
   than write a newsreader. There are enough already. We should have
   started neutering newsreader authors a long time ago.