Getting gmenu to work - compiling newer gnome core & libs

> >> Third, how can I add/edit the entries in the main menu in the panel? I
> >> have tried to find a file with these, but with no success.
>
> I'm currently working on a menu editor called gmenu. It's stable on my
> system anyway. It allows you to create and delete the panel's menu
> entries. And to order them if you have a recent compile of the panel.

> There is also a copy and screenshot of v0.2.4 on my web site at:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/rest-soft.html
> or to just download it get:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/5235/gmenu-0.2.4.tgz

I got it and tried to compile it, but it gave some errors about some
ctree. At that point I noticed from the web page, that it required the
development version of gnome, so I got gnome-core-SNAP-980622.tar.gz and
gnome-libs-SNAP-980622.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap/,
but the gnome-libs snapshot doesn't contain the configure script, and if I
try to make it from configure.in with the command 'autoconf', running it
it complains:

./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: ./configure: line 523: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

How might I get it to configure?

Thanks.

 /____\    Sampo Niskanen <=> sampo@compart.fi      \
       \         http://www.compart.fi/~sampo        \