Re: Building ab initio

Tom Tromey writes:
> Nathan>  - gettext-0.10
>
> You probably want the most recent gettext from alpha.gnu.org.

Something else to note in the FAQ :-) If I can ever get this mountain
of code compiled, I'll be glad to contribute to a "what to get, where
to get it from, what order to compile in" FAQ.

> Nathan>  - imlib-1.4
> Nathan>  - FreeBSD package netpbm-94.3.1
> Nathan>  - FreeBSD package jpeg-6a
> Nathan>  - FreeBSD package tiff-3.4
> Nathan>  - FreeBSD package png-1.0.1
>
> I thought you had to install the various image libraries before
> building imlib.

Oops!  Good point.  When I added the giflib stuff, I discovered a
potential problem: the FreeBSD package installs the include files in
/usr/local/include/giflib/ so they have to be #included as
<giflib/gif_lib.h> instead of <gif_lib.h>.  You might want to tweak
your autoconf stuff to detect this and add a
-I/usr/local/include/giflib to the cc command line.

> I thought there was an announcement on the main page saying this.  I
> don't know what's happening with CVS, though.  It would be nice if we
> could set up a mirror or something.

There may have been, but it has since scrolled off into the archives.
Have you asked the redhat folks if they could supply a second CVS
server?  Does CVS work with round-robin DNS?

> I think this is a problem with the snapshots.  There is a "support"
> module that you have to unpack in each source directory.  The support
> module includes (or should include) the macros and intl subdirs.
> gnome-libs, gnome-core, etc require this stuff.
>
> Sorry this is vague.  I haven't looked at the snapshots, so I don't
> really know the names of the things.

Other list members have helped with this.  The snapshot server has
these files in the gnome-common tarball, and you must copy them into
the application/libraries tarballs.

My current problem is in building gnome-libs:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I./.. -I/usr/local/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I../support -I../support -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/local/include -DGNOMELIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib\" -DGNOMEDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share\" -DGNOMEBINDIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -DGNOMELOCALSTATEDIR=\"/usr/local/var\" -DGNOMELOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -I../intl -I../intl -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/local/include -g -O2 -Wp,-MD,.deps/gnome-dl.p -c -fPIC -DPIC gnome-dl.c
gnome-dl.c:41: #error what is RTLD_NOW supposed to be?
gmake[2]: *** [gnome-dl.lo] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/u/frii/src/gnat/gnome/gnome-libs/libgnome'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/u/frii/src/gnat/gnome/gnome-libs'
gmake: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
gnat@coprolith (gnome-libs)

Any ideas?

Thanks,