Re: Gnome and WM

The applets (or is it the panel?) are also binding sockets to listen on.

Is this something that will be changed, or is it just something to do
with my configuration of GNOME at compile?

I hope it will change. I found that I was able to crash the panel
entirely (remotely) by connecting to those ports and flooding it.

Using firewalls would not help, since it seems to use the normal
convention of binding the next availble port (in sequential order) so
guessing the ports to firewall would be impossible.