Re: How to start ...

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Joerg Janes wrote:
> Hi out there,

Hello:-)

> I'm newe to the list and want to start writing an application which uses
> the features of the gnome environment ...

Sounds good, what kind of application?

> But it seems to me, that there is a shortage of gnome specific
> development documentation. I found much about GTK+ or MICO, but where is
> the documentation of the gnome components and features ?

There is a lot of good information at:
   http://www.gnome.org/devel/writing.shtml

The official repository of GNOME documentation is within the gnome-libs
snapshot, in the devel-docs directory.  It is incomplete, but there's some
useful stuff there.

>From a developers standpoint, the best way to find out about GNOME is
reading the source.  Read GNOME applications that do something in a
similar way to what you want to do.  If there's nothing there, read the
source in the libgnome and libgnomeui directories of gnome-libs.

Currently, the best place to get GNOME source is Jim Pick's snapshots, at:
   ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/gnome/snap/

> Who can give me some advice about a efficient and fast way to start?

Download gnome-common, gnome-libs and gnome-core from Jip Pick's site, and
start by looking in the gnome-hello directory of gnome-libs.

> Should I begin with littls GTK+ apps or should I use GTK-- for starting?

Most of the sample GNOME applications are using GTK+ straight, but then
again most of them are written in C.  If you are more comfortable with
C++, you might prefer using GTK--.  It shouldn't make that much difference
one way or another.

> Do I further need knowledge in MICO and other components to start or is
> there a good encapsulation, so that I only need gnome stuff?

Depends, at the moment, the only programs using MICO are the panel
applets in gnome-core.  If your program makes no sense without CORBA, than
you should learn more about MICO, and join the ORBit list.  If your
program developement can start without CORBA, and have any
interoperability features added later, don't bother at all with MICO.

MICO is only temporarily being used as the ORB for GNOME, until work is
finished on ORBit.  We have found MICO to be slow and large, ORBit
promises to fix that.

> I know, I'm a good C++ programmer, but my background is Win32
> programming ... so how should I start programming?

If your background is with Visual C++, you will find that X-Windows
signals are a bit different (and far more flexable) than Win32 events.
Again, download source, read.  It sounds time consuming, but it is the
best way (and at the moment the only way).  Post questions on the code
here (to gnome-list@gnome.org).

Best of Luck,
-Gleef