How to start ...

Hi out there,

I'm newe to the list and want to start writing an application which uses the features of the gnome environment ...

But it seems to me, that there is a shortage of gnome specific development documentation. I found much about GTK+ or MICO, but where is the documentation of the gnome components and features ?

Who can give me some advice about a efficient and fast way to start ? Should I begin with littls GTK+ apps or should I use GTK-- for starting ? Do I further need knowledge in MICO and other components to start or is there a good encapsulation, so that I only need gnome stuff ?

I know, I'm a good C++ programmer, but my background is Win32 programming ... so how should I start programming ?

Hoping for your help,
Joerg