linux envy

Dearest Bob, et al.,
I saw your question regarding afterstep configuration while perusing
gnome-list@gnome.org ( a fascinating look into a wider world...) and
saw  "and i hope this is the proper forum for it, forgive me if its
not."  Thought to myself, "Yeah,  I have a few questions for the
Linux community too !  Maybe if I just throw them out there, someone
will...".  Let me say 1st, I  HAVE gotten great help, fast & friendly
from Linux Support Services and others  AND I'm really excited by the
whole philosophy and depth of quality software put forth by GNU/Linux.
I look forward to the day I can chuck all my MS stuff and be
exclusively FREE.	However...after spending two hours a day for five
or six weeks I've yet to be able to make a ppp connection to my isp
for Netscape, etcetera. Took me this long to find out *.tar.gz files
will unzip (sic) much nicer if instead I fetch binaries and use
rpm -ivh   -  since I run Red Hat 5.0 !     FIVE WEEKS ! !
The question.  Do you know an entry level, really simple, info site ?
Like...  "To setup your printer...type "***" and click here... To
install this nifty (and free) word processor... from root, type
"minicom -s -m -c on, NcFTP open..."  DO YOU KNOW OF SUCH A PLACE OR
BOOK TITLE ?
Thank you all.  Thank you Robert.
Jon [(in a whiny voice) "it's too hard"] Dowd