argh. twisted cvs access problem

Okay, I'm having a bad evening.
so hastur (my home machine) now that I've changed ISP's to my office
is no longer able to access the cvs server.  it was giving my
authorization failures a while ago, so I removed my .cvspass file and
upgraded cvs...  and now whenever I try to do a cvs login
I don't get anywhere (it just sits there pretending to do something,
but strace says nothing's really happening).

office PC doesn't seem to have the same problem.

any thoughts / suggestions / possible solutions?

--
Geoff Harrison (http://mandrake.net)
Senior Systems Engineer