Jim Pick's GTK+ snapshot

I am trying to compile Jim Pick's latest GTK+ snapshot, and I've run into
a snag.  When I run the autogen.sh script, I get the following:

$ ./autogen.sh --with-x --prefix=/usr
aclocal: configure.in: 140: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
configure.in:124: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:125: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:333: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:351: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 580: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION,
no-define)'

Now type 'make' to compile GTK+.

The errors from the configure script are preventing it from creating
Makefiles.  I have tried running aclocal, automake, autoconf and configure
independantly, but it doesn't help (I just get the corresponding pieces of
the above errors).

I have tried the above both with and without the macros directory from the
gnome-common snap, with the same results (autogen.sh does not seem to
reference the macros directory).  I had been able to compile the gtk+ from
cvs until that service went down, I don't think my system has changed
significantly since then.  Yes, I am using automake 1.3.

Any ideas what's wrong here?  Thanks alot.

-Gleef