Gnome Panel size/width

Hey all.

I was browsing around the various settings files on my computer,
when I noticed a setting for the panel.  I believe it is set to 76
pixels, but if I change it to say 56, it reverts to 76 anyway.

Is this related to various applets and/or icons of applications
that I have in the panel?  I run Linux on a 12.1" TFT screen at
800x600 on my Thinkpad, and the panel really does take up too much
screen real estate on it.  (so, its always hiding ;-))

Thanks,
              Chris