Re: XML and GNOME community

robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998 nuke@bayside.net wrote:
> >
> > well, there are quite a few GPL programs that use Qt and Motif, and the
> > FSF hasn't sued yet.
>
> That's because they don't own the copyright. AFAIK so far all the GPL
> programs using Qt were written by the same people that decided to use Qt,
> and they can't sue themselves. Try linking a FSF-owned program with Qt and
> you're taking a risk. Motif they say is OK, though, under the system
> component exception.

I'm a little confused by that.  Qt is (now) a component part of my system.
Motif is not and never has been.  It seems to me that any valid argument
that makes Motif OK would be equally valid for Qt, and any valid argument
against Qt would be equally valid against Motif.  It seems to me there's
some mighty fine hair-splitting going on there.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net>
I wore khaki when khaki wasn't cool.