gnome "task" bar

Now, again, excuse this next question if it is ignorant, I haven't been
able to find too much extensive documentation on just exactly what gnome
intends to be, but, why would you want to run another window manager under
gnome?  Couldn't/Shouldn't GNOME be its own entity, i have configured my
GNOME setup so that the stupid fvwm95 crap doesn't come up, but its not
efficient, when I "minimize" my programs, are they being backgrounded?  If
not, should they be or am I completely off on this one, second, is it
possible for the icons to show up in the gnome "task" bar, like they do on
the fvwm95 one?

Michael Freeman - mikef@prism.net
Prism Technologies, Inc.