Re: XML and GNOME community

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> 	Well, drag-and-drop and communication with the panel could be
> implemented by sending chunks of XML back and forth, instead of using
> CORBA.

Ummm... WHY?

XML is a document markup language. What does it have to do with data
exchange in drag-and-drop ops? I just can't understand this craziness
that has come over people. This was happening with HTML up until six
months ago, until the credibility just stretched too thin. Let's
implement everything in HTML! Yes! Desktops, documents, spreadsheets,
graphics, even source code! What a great idea! What a load of bull, is
what I say. HTML is a basic document markup language for very simple,
network-transported hypertext documents. That's all. There are fine
standards defined for everything else...

Once everyone people fall in love with those angle brackets, they just
can't let go.

Don't reinvent the wheel. If you think mico's slow, wait until the
whole thing is done by parsing chunks of XML. That'll be loads of fun.

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- stephanos@internet.com ---------------------
Visit HTML with Style at              http://www.webreference.com/html/
   Every second Thursday a new tutorial on HTML and CSS, plus much,
    much more... for those who like to author Web pages with Style