compile gnome apps?

a second time (sorry for the very short first one, I was having trouble with
the list, it was more of a test mail. :) )

I'm probably missing the obvious, but I don't know how to compile a gnome
app I'm writing.

I tried putting -lgnome -lgnomeui and such into the makefile, but with no
luck. I don't understand automake, but I still tried to edit a makefile.am
and configure.in and use that - no go.

isn't there something like the gtk-config ? or how can I go and get my gnome
app running?

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.